Start gathering your old papers, bills and confidential documents that you no longer need and bring them to the Summerland Credit Union this Saturday, May 11 from 9am – 12pm. They will shred everything for you in a safe and secure manner (limit 4 boxes per person). Full details below.
We are so happy to have our Teas for a Cause back for a second year to help support The Giants Head Grind.
- What better way kick yourself into high gear and get ready to make the big climb then with a refreshing green tea packed full of peach, pomegranate and mint! Don’t just go half way….you deserve the rewards at the top!
- A little nettle goes along way to “block that puck”. This is not just gold in the net but a perfect blend to keep out the bad and help all the good in your body. Whether you drink this to start the day or finish it – this tea is your best “defense”.
- You might just lose yourself in the amazing flavours that are at work in this blend. Walker’s Toddler Tea is the perfect combination of flavours for the the child within us and an equally great drink for the children around us…make sure to keep an eye on those little people…you don’t want them to toddle off.
To order your favourite, go to teaforacause.ca/giants-head-grind.
For those of you who have attended the Giants Head Grind, and even for those who haven’t but have heard all about it, you know that this isn’t your typical fundraising race. Now moving into its third year, The Giants Head Grind – Christopher Walker Memorial Race has become a much anticipated annual event that brings together a community of participants, volunteers and locals for a weekend-long event that is of itself creating amazing memories for all those who participate.
But fun, community and memories aside, let’s not forget that we are also climbing the Grind with a purpose.
Funds raised will benefit Colon Cancer detection, diagnostics & research, and the continued upkeep of Giants Head Park trails. And there are so many ways that you can help with this great cause:
- If you’re participating, set up your donation page and start sharing. Every dollar counts!
- If you can’t join us on race day, fear not! Find a team or racer to support, or click Donate Now.
- For those available but not interested in climbing the Giant, join us on Sunday, May 22 for the “Grind Wine Tour“. You’ll even receive a $65.00 tax receipt.
Here’s the best part! For the individual who raises the most, we’re giving away two nights for two to Mount Engadine Lodge including food and non alcoholic beverages.
Now, go out and let’s reach our goal of $50,000!
Last year, we welcomed almost 500 walkers and runners to participate in the 2nd Annual Giants Head Grind, Christopher Walker Memorial Race, and this year we’ve decided to add a bike element to the race. Participants now have the added option to “Bike the Grind” for $59/ person, or if you’re really feeling ambitious, you can “Hike & Bike the Grind” for $89/ person.
The Bike Course will begin on Lakeshore Drive beside Peach Orchard Park at 9 am.
- Cyclists will begin heading North and take a left up Peach Orchard Road.
- At the top of Peach Orchard Road, cyclists will enter the roundabout and exit heading South on Rosedale Avenue (Third exit).
- Heading South on Rosedale, cyclists will find another roundabout in 300 meters and will exit that roundabout heading east on Prairie Valley for 100 meters.
- Then take the first right on Giants Head Road.
- In another 300 meters, cyclists will take a sharp right up a steep road called Milne Road and at the top of Milne you will see the entrance to Giants Head on your left.
- Take the left and ride to the top!
For full details and to register, go to www.giantsheadgrind.ca/participate.
A special Giants Head Grind thanks goes to husband and wife team, Valdo and Anna, who raced around throughout the day from the Beach to the Peak, and everywhere in between, to capture some outstanding photos of all of our participants.
Click on an image to view
We hope you enjoy re-living the day as you glance through these photos… okay, maybe not the climb itself (ouch!), but definitely the people, the view, the food courtesy of Nester’s Market, Brodo and True Grains, and the beverages from Okanagan Crush Pad and Bad Tattoo.
Of course, let’s not forget all of our amazing Sponsors and volunteers who helped to make the Giants Head Grind – Christopher Walker Memorial Race 2015 a weekend to remember!