Race Day Schedule & Route Details
The Giants Head Grind starts at Peach Orchard Park on the the shore of Okanagan Lake and ends at the top of Giants Head Mountain. There are two elements to the race; "Bike the Grind", which starts at 9:00am leaving cyclists plenty of time to get back for the afternoon Grind, and "Hike the Grind", which starts at 12:00pm and is open to runners, walkers and even crawlers. There are options to register for the Bike, the Hike or even to do both! Full details of the Bike and Hike routes are below.
We have experienced a wide variety of weather – from overcast and mild, to beautiful sunny skies to sweltering heat. We do encourage you to watch the weather reports leading up to the race so you are fully prepared!
Race Day Schedule | Saturday, May 18, 2019
|7:00-10:00am||Breakfast is served! Registered racers only.|
|9:00am||Bike the Grind Race Begins|
|10:30-11:30am||Yoga in Peach Orchard Park|
|12:00 Noon||Hike the Grind Race Begins|
|2:00-5:00pm||Post-Race BBQ, Peach Orchard Park|
|4:00pm||Race Awards, Peach Orchard Park|
"Bike the Grind" Route Details
"Bike the Grind" starts at 9:00am on Lakeshore Drive beside Peach Orchard Park. The course covers 6.2 kilometres and a 450 meters gain in elevation. The bike course is paved the entire way but there are some steep grades so mountain bikes are still a great option.
There are volunteers directing cyclists on the course, but it is recommended that you are familiar with the route. Directions are as follows:
- Cyclists will begin heading North and take a left up Peach Orchard Road.
- At the top of Peach Orchard Road, cyclists will enter the roundabout and exit heading South on Rosedale Avenue (Third exit).
- Heading South on Rosedale, cyclists will find another roundabout in 300 meters and will exit that roundabout heading east on Prairie Valley for 100 meters.
- Then take the first right on Giants Head Road.
- In another 300 meters, cyclists will take a sharp right up a steep road called Milne Road and at the top of Milne you will see the entrance to Giants Head on your left.
- Take the left and ride to the top!
Following the race, participants will be required to bike back down to the start location, staying to the right for safety.
"Hike the Grind" Route Details
"Hike the Grind" starts at 12:00 noon at Peach Orchard Park on the shore of Okanagan Lake. The course covers 5.6 kilometres with a 500 meter gain in elevation. The course is well-marked and takes you along Okanagan Lake, past Summerland Waterfront Resort, up the trail through the town of Summerland and then up to the top of Giants Head Mountain. It's a steady climb, but with 7 aid stations, cheering volunteers and spectators, and some pretty special treats waiting for you at the top, it's well worth it!
Following the race, participants can grab one of the shuttles down to the bottom of the mountain where they will then transfer to a school bus that will take them the rest of the way back to Peach Orchard Park and the delicious BBQ that awaits!